Monday, August 25, 2008

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Woody Allen, USA / Spain, 2008
3 out of 4 stars

I’m not sure what to make of this movie. A spoiler-heavy review that I read after I’d decided not to see this movie (a decision I obviously reversed) indicated that it was just another example of Allen’s simplistic, misogynist depictions of women, which possibly primed me to react unfavorably when the two titular protagonists were introduced via a condescending, brutally reductive monologue, delivered by an unseen, apparently omniscient male narrator. These women are clearly presented as types; one is free-spirited, the other is straight-laced, and while they may not do what you (on the most superficial level) might expect them to do at all times, they largely stay true to their characterizations.

So is this misogyny, or merely a kind of (im)morality play, with the characters representing life paths rather than real people, and the narration constituting a judicious use of what Bertolt Brecht called the alienation effect (with which, I must confess, I have only a passing familiarity)? As the film progressed, with the narration continuing but becoming more infrequent, I found myself more accommodating of the latter hypothesis, and later, my female friend did point out that the men are easily more loathsome or pathetic (usually not at once) than the women, hands down. I’m not sure that debunking the misogyny accusation is as simple as merely pointing that out, but there’s something to it.

Overall, then, it’s an entertaining film with some dubious values (I don’t know just how laughable I should regard the depiction of “European men,” for one thing, as the one presented here seems more like a cinematic cliché than anything). I laughed quite a bit throughout, although I wasn’t always sure if I was supposed to be laughing (which, I suppose, is better than being sure that you’re not supposed to be laughing). I don’t quite recommend it, largely because there does seem to be a certain emptiness of purpose here, but it’s not that bad either.

Source: MGM 35mm print
22 Aug, 9:30 PM

1 comment:

OKASHII said...

I just saw it at Regal today as a matinee, and I largely agree with your evaluation. I thought the male character was silly, cliche, pathetic, and brutish, but also occasionally luminescent (his speeches about seizing the day and his daring "let's dispense with the bullshit veneer"). He feels like a mouthpiece for Woody Allen in his best moments and like a poor mimic at other moments. I think he sizzles with Penelope Cruz (how could she ever have dated Tom Cruise?), has a little somethin with the brunette, and a little less somethin with Scarlett Johanson. In fact Cruz's character made me laugh out loud more than any other character, I think because it's such a different role for her. She's impetuous and arrogant and sexy all at once. Sure the gun thing at the end was a little ridiculous but it's funny when the brunette has to explain it as the "foreign language teacher" and his antique gun collection! Hello?! Basically Allen has shown us that the world is fucked up; or at least has some fucked up fantasies (that of course go awry) and I don't think this was as good as Matchpoint. It's a good diversion for a Thursday afternoon kind of film.