Monday, May 08, 2006

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

(Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom)
Kim Ki-duk, South Korea / Germany, 2003
3.5 out of 4 stars

A very beautiful film (especially in the first “spring” segment), clearly loaded with entrancing but elusive Buddhist imagery. As in his subsequent film, 3-Iron, Kim Ki-duk makes very effective use of silence (not always, but for the larger portion of the film), without leading to snores. Compared to the many films I’ve lately been describing as “good, but I didn’t get it,” I generally preferred the segments that I did get here. Even though it is about a very particular set of religious and cultural practices (and who knows if it’s portrayed accurately), I found most of the film to be accessible, which was why it was a bit tiresome when the climax, such as it was, was a largely unexplained hike up a hill. Actually, I suppose it wasn’t that hard to figure out, but it just seemed to lack an impetus, which you couldn’t say for the rest of the film. Overall, however, a strong effort, a movie that has a point but is also very serene, in a good way.

Source: Sony DVD
8 May, 9:16 PM

No comments: