Sunday, January 22, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Ang Lee, USA, 2005
3 out of 4 stars

First off, I really don't see what the big deal is about watching two men have sex, make out, and what not. I felt some trepidation about seeing it only because it was socially generated. But I saw a far more graphic gay sex scene last year in Wong Kar-Wai's Happy Together so really I knew it would not be a big deal. It would actually be an interesting experience to watch that movie not knowing that they're going to get it on.

If anything bugged me about that movie, it would be how they portrayed the main female character, the way the ending kinda dragged, and finally, that it's not as good as is being said by so many. Also, it shouldn’t be forgotten that there have been "gay films" before. The fact is that this is a blockbuster gay film, which is a cultural landmark for reasons that aren't exclusively tied up with the artistic or entertainment value of the film in and of itself. I'm glad it's doing well, but I also doubt that any red state woman is going to vote in favor of gay marriage (if it comes up on the ballot) after seeing it.

Source: Universal 35mm print
22 January, 1:20 PM

No comments: