Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Long Goodbye

Robert Altman, USA, 1973
3 out of 4 stars

I think that when you a person born in 1981, watching a character from the 1940s (Phillip Marlowe) whose adventures you are not familiar with, inexplicably (no reference is made to the incongruity, you have to read reviews or watch the special features) transported to the 1970s… well, it’s too many degrees of temporal separation. The 40s, the 70s… it sounds idiotic to say this since you’d think I could tell the difference between the two, but the anachronism of the Marlowe character wasn’t often very apparent to me, he just seemed like a slightly archaic hero. I also think I’m not the biggest fan of Robert Altman’s style, or perhaps I should just leave the subtitling on throughout the film. The thing is, if you’re never quite clear what everyone is saying, it’s like no one is saying anything after a while.

Source: MGM DVD
4 February, 10 PM

No comments: