Monday, December 17, 2007

The Color of Paradise

(Rang-e khoda)
Majid Majidi, Iran, 1999
3 out of 4 stars

My family and I were, I think, in a bit too much of a silly mood to be watching such a "serious" and "understated" picture, so the emotional impact of this tale of a rural blind child in Iran was perhaps not what it should have been. I suspect, however, that this might be true to some extent under any viewing circumstances.

There are some very impressive aspects to the film, however, and overall, it's worth viewing. While I'm sure it's not the first or last film to try to put this across, it nonetheless did a pretty good job of conveying the young blind protagonist's sense of hearing and touch, showing us how it both isolates him and puts him on the same wavelength as nature. There were also some odd touches that I'm glad weren't explained (although while watching, I assumed that I wanted an explanation).

So, it's a solid effort, and the characters and their plights are engaging enough. Yet while a movie like this usually feels like it needs to be short, the 90 minute running time here actually makes the film seem a bit slight. There is actually a fairly solid plot, and ultimately this just leads one to feel like the viewer may have seen an overly small sliver of the pie (while at the same time, it's doubtful that a longer film would have been superior).

Source: Sony DVD
16 Dec, 8:04 PM

No comments: