Sunday, February 05, 2006

Oldboy

Park Chan-wook, South Korea, 2003
4 out of 4 stars

Much as when watching A History of Violence, I expected to be grossed out by, well, the violence, but instead I was grossed out by… well it’d be a major spoiler if I told you. A lot of the violence isn’t even in your face at all. This is one of those movies that you would recommend to everyone except that you might get in trouble if you imprudently recommended it to more sensitive souls. I am not an entirely jaded person and so this movie did come close to making me sick, at least psychologically (it’s hard to explain). However, unlike some cheap horror film, the revulsion here is well earned because the characters matter and whatnot. Aside from that, it’s stylistically brilliant.

Source: TLA DVD
5 February, 9:40 PM

No comments: