Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Bug's Life

John Lasseter, USA, 1998
3.5 out of 4 stars

This film definitely starts out slow. Much of the opening seems to be overly clichéd and not as inspired as other Pixar efforts. This isn’t to say it was bad per se, just that it wasn’t the greatness I expect from Pixar right from the beginning.

This came later. Indeed, by the time I got to the end of the film I myself felt inspired and thoroughly entertained. Unlike DreamWorks or even Disney proper, Pixar generally gets it right when they try to convey a theme like individualism and innovation over conformity and tradition, because they personify these values to some extent. I think part of the problem here is that the ants aren’t much to look at, so you really need the color you get from the circus bugs, but that may actually be the point, as the ants’ world really changes from that point on. There are certainly some great images, but my favorite would have to be the killer bird. And while the humor (or the characterization, for that matter) isn’t exactly perfect, it works for the story.

Source: Buena Vista DVD
12 April, 9:45 PM

No comments: