Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Departed

Martin Scorsese, USA, 2006
3.5 out of 4 stars

I’m not even sure about the extent to which people are aware that Scorsese’s latest is a remake of a 2002 Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs, a film I only saw last year. My awareness of the original certainly made for a different viewing experience than that of my peers, as I couldn’t help but spend much of the screen time marveling over how much of the story had made it into the new film.

There are certainly, however, differences worth talking about, which therefore make the movie worth watching. The performances are all stellar, and Jack Nicholson’s in particular outshines his predecessor, Eric Tsang. The overall feel is certainly grittier; I hesitate to use the word “realistic,” but the original was a lot slicker and shinier while this one is almost hyper realistic in its high levels of obscene language and blood-spattering (making allowances for the fact that a gunshot will always be more impressive on the big screen, at least until I can afford surround sound at home!). Overall, this film is a bit more organic, and it’s interesting to see the two different approaches.

Finally, Scorsese and his screenwriter, William Monahan, develop the background at the beginning more thoroughly, and add a coda to the film’s ending that is perhaps the only real departure from the plot of the original. Both are quite dark conclusions in different ways, which in itself is interesting. I suppose I would recommend that you watch the original first, if only because I am a bit worried that you might think less of the original if you saw it after the remake! I’d have to watch Infernal Affairs again, but my feeling right now is that Scorsese put a bit more meat on its bones in his version.

Source: Warner 35mm print
20 October, 10:15 PM

No comments: