Tuesday, March 21, 2006

V for Vendetta

James McTeigue, USA / Germany, 2005
3 out of 4 stars

Engaging if not necessarily flawless. Hard to put my finger on what its flaws are, there do seem to be too many lulls. Perhaps this is one of those adaptations that suffers from the “too faithful” bug (I’ve read Alan Moore’s comic, but I did seem to have forgotten all the plot points until I saw them happen again). It is amusing considering that Moore went postal on the filmmakers because they misquoted him as having given official approval, because I can’t really see what beef he would have with this version. I feel like they wouldn’t have kept it in Britain if they weren’t hoping to get his seal of approval, as it does make the whole Bush criticism thing a little peculiar.

Source: Warner 35mm print
21 March, 3:30 PM

No comments: