Saturday, October 14, 2006

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Adam McKay, USA, 2006
4 out of 4 stars

I’m not a fan of what I have been known to call, in full elitist mode, “dumb comedy,” so I was immensely surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. I know he’s certainly made some dreck, but it may be that I simply haven’t given Will Ferrell enough of a chance before now; this is actually the first Ferrell vehicle I’ve ever seen!

In truth, this movie isn’t dumb at all. Ferrell and McKay present us with a wealth of incisive observations about modern bourgeois American culture and its consumerist, religious, and hyper-masculinist affectations by depicting the most unembarrassed manifestations of these phenomena, the so-called “red staters,” but by showing the real heart and humanity of these characters, and by refraining from letting their “blue” counterparts off the hook, they manage to do it without any of the costal elitism that I myself find hard to avoid at times.

It would be disingenuous for me to say, “ideological critiques aside, the movie is extremely funny.” It is, in fact, the funniest movie of 2006 that I’ve seen, but the humor is definitely tied up in that business. I appreciate that Ferrell surrounds himself with a very strong cast, especially the hillarious Sacha Baron Cohen as his gay French rival. Cohen seems to be setting himself up as the reincarnation of Peter Sellers (in a good way), and his portrayal surprised me especially for not being particularly hateful (allowing for the possibility that people who are actually gay and/or French might disagree). I don’t know if it’s reasonable to say that the characters are not caricatures, but the film does avoid the cheap trick of trying to elicit laughs from humorless, tired stereotypes alone, and most of the characters have life to them; they aren’t merely foils for Farrell’s wackiness.

As a side note, I have discovered a bargain theater in Moreno Valley at which evening screenings are merely $4! My friend and I were alone in the audience, in front of a very large screen. We suspect they might not even have started the film if no one showed up. The main downside was that the film seemed to be out of focus the entire time, which was hard on my eyes (it’s also possible that the print is just worn out, I suppose).

Source: Sony 35mm print
13 October, 9:35 PM

No comments: