Saturday, February 11, 2006

Final Destination 3

James Wong, USA, 2006
2.5 out of 4 stars

Blah. This is just not what I consider film to be, and I know that’s a close-minded statement, but let me just top it by saying that I don’t even like what this movie and others like it (or worse than it) say about our culture. How can we really go to a movie just to see kids get splattered across the screen, with no larger artistic, plot, or even overall entertainment purpose? How can that be the whole entertainment right there? I really don’t get it. It seems to require a certain contempt for reality. Sure, I don’t like those bimbo girls either, but they don’t deserve to die for it either. I guess this film actually “transcends” that paradigm in a different way than Buffy does, which is that the sympathetic characters get ripped up too. Yay? Admittedly I wasn’t as grossed out by it as I expected, and I even laughed at times, but I felt philosophically empty outwards, and that’s the scary part.

Source: New Line 35mm print
11 February, 2:10 PM

No comments: